Chef Wilkinson


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, September 16, 2010

~ Moonshine ~

In 2009 the great State of Tennessee approved legislation that made dozens of Tennessee counties eligible for distilleries. Prior to this legislation production of distilled spirits was only legal in Moore, Coffee and Lincoln counties (where Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey, George Dickel Whisky and Prichards' Rum operate). On July 2nd, 2010 the first legal distillery in Gatlinburg opened ... Ole Smoky Distillery. I read somewhere that the 'boys with diplomas' were unable to produce the desired product without the help of some 'mountain men'. That doesn't surprise me. I personally have tried their product and I can't really give it a fair comparison as I have never tried the real thing. I can tell you (in my opinion) it is very dry and appears to just instantly evaporate in your mouth. Then when you inhale you get the effects of having drank it as it burns all the way down. They also have a product called Moonshine Cherries, which appears to be quite appealing. So if you get to the Mountains of East Tennessee stop by and give it a try. ~ Chef Wilkinson ~